Can you imagine driving using acetylene lamps or tungsten filaments for your headlights? Tungsten filaments are similar to that of the incandescent light bulbs used in households. These headlamps were used in the old times but considered unimaginable in this age. With the kind of roads and thoroughfares today, you would have a hard time maneuvering your car or would most likely meet an accident, especially during night driving.
Best White Headlight Bulbs:
Evolving technology and road conditions demand that more efficient white headlights be used to make driving easier and safer for both driver and pedestrian.
There are automobile buyers who would spend on accessories and other extras rather than spend on white headlight bulbs. Without intending to, these buyers are closer to being involved in road accidents with their inferior headlights. Studies establish that a high percentage of accidents happen because of inferior headlights which reduce visibility, becoming a major factor for road mishaps.
It is, therefore, essential, especially at night, that drivers see the road ahead, including pedestrians, cyclists, and other obstacles for the safety of all. And, choosing bright white headlights will do the job.
#1 – Kensun Xenon HID
Kensun ranks at the top of the market for HID kits, offering three types of kits:
- A single HID low beam headlight without the high beam option — the driver must rely on a single beam to light any road condition
- An HID halogen bulb for each headlight with a separate bulb that automatically switches on when the vehicle’s high beam is turned on
- The bi-xenon which provides an HID bulb for each headlight. This bulb shifts its position when the high beam turns on and changes the beam direction, lighting up more of the road. The magnet makes the shifting of the headlight position within the housing possible, shifting the trajectory of the beam.
The Kensun kit comes with the HID Xenon Low Beam Headlight replacement bulb and excellent customer service. The components are easy to install, and it only takes 20 minutes of your time. If you are uncertain with the correct installation, you may request the services of a professional. The manufacturers usually provide technical assistance free of charge. The kit includes a pair of D2S HID xenon lamps with a great bright performance.
A reminder, though: when you purchase your headlight, check the watt of the bulb you install. The higher the K, the more color you get and less of the white or bright headlights that you expect. A lower than 6000K light shifts to white and subsequently, yellow. The Kensun HID lights are bright white with a tinge of yellow.
HID bulbs are thinner and longer than the standard bulb and you may need a retrofit for the housing to fit the bulb inside. Again, you may request the services of a professional to do the job for you.
#2 – OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs with Clear Arc-Beam Kit
Technology constantly upgrades the performance of white headlights which results in the entry of high performing headlights in the market. One is the OPT7 LED headlight bulb with clear arc-beam kit, which offers optimum performance for safety in road driving.
Improved features, such as those listed below, give clients product satisfaction:
- Pre-wired drivers and bulbs to make installation easy
- A complete and easy to understand manual
- The OPT7 LED headlight bulbs are super bright — brighter even than most HID lamps
- Works with auto-on function
- No experienced delays in turning the headlights on
- Emits beam patterns that are strong and solid at appropriate angles
- Due to the bulb’s size and weight, mounting of drivers is unnecessary
- Improved visibility due to the brighter white LED that reflects road paints and road signs better
- Performance does not fail even underwater; the bulb has a rainproof driver, fan, and housing that performs great in extreme situations
Most drivers find satisfaction in the overall performance of the OPT7 LED Headlight bulbs in terms of road safety and performance. This product should make you comfortable and confident in arriving at your destination.
#3 – PIAA 15224 H4 Xtreme White Plus High-Performance Halogen Bulb
This type of bulb produces a clean white light, and the clearance it gets from the Society of Automotive Engineers and Department of Transformation gives you the secure feeling of not being stopped by authorities for using high-wattage bulbs.
This halogen bulb has a 4000K bright white color that increases visibility and style with the Xtra technology that produces enhanced light output within standard draw. Other great features are its resistance to heat with its quartz glass and the aerospace alloy filament that gives it a longer life.
The PIAA Xtreme White does offer great features at a reasonable price and tops as one of the best white halogen headlights in the market.
#4 – OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited H4 Super White Halogen
This headlight is the latest in technology for dimensions of halogen lamps that give out brighter and whiter lights. The Night Breaker Unlimited performs better at 110% brightness, a light cone of 40 meters longer with 20% whiter light than the standard halogen lamps. These features make this bulb perfect for safe and fatigue-free driving. And, these features offer driving confidence with greater visibility and significant response times.
Added features of the Night Breaker Unlimited are:
- An optimized noble filler gas that generates a more efficient light
- Greater resistance to heat due to its filament design
- Attractive appearance through its design of partial blue coating and silver dome
- Considered by users as a powerful halogen automotive lamp
- OSRAM Night Breaker lamps are perfect for safety in any driving conditions at full beam, dipped beam, or auxiliary light.
#5 – Philips H11 Crystal Vision Ultra Upgrade Headlight Bulb
This bulb is one of the best white halogen headlights that gives a substantial improvement in brightness and visual reach without blinding other oncoming motorists. This bulb produces a faint, light blue color to its light that does not hamper visibility but instead increases it. Visibility is due to beams with lateral spread which allows more visible areas when driving.
This product gains acceptance among motorists because of its observed brightness, longer life, and reasonable price.
#6 – Sylvania H11 Silverstar zXe High-Performance Halogen Headlight Bulbs
This white headlight bulb has a better pattern and a brighter light. The Sylvania H11 Silverstar has a white-bluish tint that is appropriate for night-time driving, and a big help for drivers who have problems with night-time vision. The spread of beam gives the driver ease in visibility without straining the neck to see the edges, even at a distance.
This type of headlight bulb has a crisp, white light, much like the properties of the HID and its Xenon gas technology. The cobalt blue coat gives out optimal light transmission as well as the color you prefer. It satisfies aesthetics with its mirror top alloy coating that presents a jewel-like appearance.
Which Type of White Headlight to Choose
The halogen bulb became popular throughout the world from the time it was launched in 1962 and is still used at present. Halogen lamps are capable of producing more light than previous models and with the same amount of power. Halogen lamps are simple, cost-effective, and can last for 1,000 hours under normal conditions, accounting for its popularity among buyers. The housing of the halogen headlight is made of polycarbonate which is lighter and stronger; the bulb aims through a series of reflectors or the beam is directed through a projector lens within the housing.
One issue with the halogen bulb is when it generates light, it also creates a significant amount of heat, which is a waste of energy. Another issue is its reaction to various substances. For instance, during replacement of a bulb, it is necessary not to touch the spare bulb as the grease from the hand sticks to the glass which will affect the heat emission and the bulb’s lifespan.
- Easy replacement
- Cost effective
- Simple construction
- Has different dimensions
- Creates so much heat, which is wasted energy
- Needs extra care as it is prone to contamination by various substances
High-Intensity Discharge (HID)
HID lamps demonstrate more efficiency for headlights’ purposes, mainly due to its color and the light it produces.
The high-intensity discharge is a composite of gasses and rare metals heated to come up with a bright white light. HIDs are much brighter than halogen lamps, which, to a point, could distract other road users. Though equipped with brighter light, HID bulbs need less power to operate (about 35 watts) and can last for 2000 hours.
The HID has traceable amounts of the inert gas, xenon, which gives its common name of Xenon headlights. The xenon gas is what keeps the HID lights from flickering when switched on and makes certain there is adequate illumination before maximum brightness occurs. This positive feature is also its disadvantage as well since it requires some time for the gasses to reach the operating temperature to create a strong light.
- HIDs have longer life span
- With its use of less power, it is more efficient
- Creates more light
- Better visibility
- A potential annoyance for incoming traffic due to its bright glare
- More expensive
- Complexity in system
LED (Light Emitting Diodes)
LED is now a byword from flashlights to key components in cars, televisions, and phones. LEDs provide most of the lights for instrument panels, entertainment, and car interiors. Arrays of LEDS are also used for fog lamps, indicators, and brake lights. LEDs are the designers’ choice due to their size which allows for thinner and distinctive shapes.
LEDs may not be as bright as HIDs but can reach their maximum brightness within seconds, a feature which improves the response time of other road users by 30%. Another feature of LED lamps is they don’t heat up like the halogens.
LEDs are semiconductors that do not contain parts that wear out. Therefore, they last longer — lasting, as some would claim, for up to 15,000 hours. LEDs require less electricity, thereby reducing the emission of COS, and do not drain the battery. LED stands between the halogen and HID bulbs but provides focused rays. Furthermore, the small size allows manufacturers to make different shapes to match car models, appealing to aesthetics.
- Manipulation for a variety of designs due to its small size
- Extremely low consumption of energy
- Produces brighter lights than halogen bulbs
- High cost
- Not as bright as HIDs
- High temperature around near assemblies
- Best for turn signals, brake lamps, or daytime running lights
- Difficult to cope with high engine bay temperatures
How to Choose the Best White Headlights
Choosing the best white headlights that are appropriate for a particular condition is always a dilemma. You want a particular headlight that allows you to see the road clearly in tough weather conditions but does not give other motorists a problem. There are several headlights available on the market which makes choosing even more difficult.
You may want to consider the following in buying white headlights that suit your preference and get the most from your money:
- Check your budget – Ask yourself what your primary consideration is.
Bright white headlights tend to cost more, especially those with brighter lights that are whiter. If these headlights are what you want, expect these to cost more than ordinary headlights.
- Is your primary consideration a headlight bulb that lasts longer or performs better? Bulbs that are high in light output have a shorter lifespan. And, headlights with higher output run hotter and more intensely which makes their life short, which means another replacement in a few months or more; standard bulbs would probably last at least a year under ordinary conditions. Although, a higher light output does give better performance and keeps you safe driving at night in any weather condition.
- Do you prefer a bright white to bluish color for a headlight? HID headlights give a bright white headlight with a bluish color at the periphery. However, you need to check if your purchase has a conversion kit, should you go for the HID headlights. You may not find bulbs with white halogen headlights that have the same brightness as HIDs, but you may come across a halogen bulb of the same color temperature. This color temperature is possible through a blue semi-transparent film that coats the outside of the bulb glass. When light passes the film, it changes the color. But, this manipulation for color effect decreases light output, reducing road visibility.
- Learn about color temperature. The term “color temperature” is common in headlight bulbs and it is to your advantage to know more about the color temperature of white headlight bulbs. You will find the color temperature printed on bulb packaging. Halogen bulbs fall under the warm colors (between 2000K to 4000K). To achieve the higher color temperature, it requires for the halogen light to pass through a blue filament or a tinted glass. A denser tint on the glass produces bluer light output, achieving a higher temperature of colors.
Several considerations need to be taken in purchasing the brightest white headlight bulbs that last longer and perform well. There are no white headlights that would fit every of vehicle. You need to find out more about your preferred white headlights when buying, which you could get by reading reviews.
It would be prudent to check on the wattage as well. More light output means more watts. The packaging of headlight bulbs has small printed watts on it which you need to check. A 65/55W means the high beam is at 65 watts, and the low beam is at 55W. A white headlight bulb with a high wattage and a 5000 K color temperature would be excellent for its purpose.
It is natural for a driver to consider road safety and at the same time consider the cost of replacement bulbs. But, high performing white headlight bulbs come with a price. Consider what good it is to keep the cost low if your safety on the road is at stake and visibility becomes an annoyance.
Driving is not just a matter of personal convenience. There are other considerations you need to take into account and are even of greater significance, such as the safety of your passengers, especially if they are family members, the pedestrians, cyclists, or obstacles that may endanger your own safety. These are important matters that have to enter into your consideration. Road accidents are avoidable if you have superior performing headlights to assist you in your driving.
Technology succeeded in producing safe products that you can take advantage of and there are products that you can choose which still fall within your budget range. The products and the pros and cons of each type of headlight bulbs presented here hopefully will help you make the choice and enable you to enjoy your driving with confidence.